Thursday, July 16, 2015

How I Track Area 56 Toastmasters on Google Maps

When I received my area assignment, I was a little overwhelmed and lost in the locations, times and dates when those clubs meet. I decided to create a Google Map where I listed all my clubs, and a Google Calendar where I added all the clubs meetings for the whole year. In this post, I will show you how I created the Google Map and next time, I will share how I created the Google Calendar.

First, you need a Google account. If you already have a Gmail address, that's all you need. If you don't have a Google account, you can create one at Google.com. The process is straight forward and if you need help, let me know and I can write another post about it.

Once you have a Google account, go to www.google.com/mymaps. You should see the following:


Click on "Create a new map". First, change the name of your map in the top left corner where it says "Untitled Map". When you click on "Untitled Map", you get a pop-up window where you can add a new title and description. You can do the same for "Untitled layer" and change it to something more meaningful.



Now it's time to add your clubs. In the search box, type the address of the first club. Google will find the address and drop a pin. Click on the pin to add the location to your map.


Once added to the map, the location should appear on the left under your layer. In my case, it's under Area 56 Toastmasters Clubs layer. 


You can see, that it says the address. However, I would like to see the name of the club instead. To change that, click on the pin on the map and click the pencil to edit it. Now you can change the title and also the pin itself if you wish.

Repeat the same steps for all your clubs. This is how my area 56 map looks like:


Now I can easily see where is each club located, I can get directions and see how long it will take me to get there.

Did you find this useful? Let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment